Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Traitor? No.

Why is it that I get called a traitor to Muse, when I start to listen to a different artist more after I've listened to Muse for nearly 7 years? You would want a break too! (Christian, you silly, silly person.......)

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Sia. More specifically, one album of Sia: "Some People have Real Problems". I try to get people in school (mainly the younger class, which I just happen to be in... blah......) to listen to more (and, in my opinion, better) music. Slowly, they've been growing more open to the music I listen to (at least Ryan and Christian), but man! Bring in a female artist and it all goes away!!! (Try this at home.) As soon as I turned on some Sia, the faces that were full of great interest turned into faces of great disgust. I mean, seriously!!! I have been called the most musical person at school. Would I show people an artist that isn't good? No, probably not. There's only a few artists that I like that aren't all that great, and compared to the "music" that's popular nowadays, the music that I like that isn't "all that great" is amazing. So don't lecture me on what's good music.

Here's the process of finding a new artist: Benny finds a new artist, and shows it to me (every once in a long while, it's the other way around.) So, if I'm not really into something else at that time, I'll take the time to listen to it, and if it came from Benny, I'll most likely start to like it. Most of the time it's the same way if it were me finding the artist. So, if I were the one finding the artist, I'll look quickly scan through their stuff, look up some of their lyrics, and, if I like it, I'll show it to Benny. Not always does he like it, but neither do I, so there.

The past month or so, I've been listening to a lot of Sia and Antoine Dufour. A while back I posted a video of Antoine Dufour and Tommy Gauthier? Well, Antoine Dufour turned out to be an AMAZING guitarist, now one of my favorites. He's very easy to listen to while you're reading, and that's something I greatly admire in music. The same goes for most Sia songs.

Speaking of reading, have you ever heard of (or read) Ted Dekker? Well, just a little while ago, I borrowed about 5 of his books from the library: "Black," "Red," "White," "Green," and "Skin." The first four are a book series (in case you hadn't noticed),  and the last is a thriller, I'm excited about that. It's a lot of reading to do in 3 weeks, considering I only just started "Black".....

Back to the music... I like music... music is nearly my favorite thing in the world.......

How many of you have seen the movie "August Rush" ? If so, say "I"....

No, I'm just kidding, you don't have to do that. You could if you wanted to, but no pressure.... Anyways, there's a scene in the park where August (Evan) plays for the first time. This song, "Ritual Dance", is awesome. In other words, I just recently learned it. I'm close to perfecting it, even though I do it a little differently. In case you don't want to bother looking it up (which you won't, now that I've given it to you), here it is!



Yeah, well. I also was learning a little bit of "Development" by Antoine Dufour (I'll let you look this one up), but I'm nowhere near perfecting that. Well, anyways. I'm going to go read "Black" so I can get it done in time for me to read the rest of the series before the 10th of next month.

Last minute exhortation! If you are one of those peoplz who don't care for music, or you don't listen to a wide variety of music, expand! Try out new stuff! You'll find that many people have begun to like music more the more they listen to it. Even Wesley (I would have made his name a link to his blog, but he discontinued it :( ) began liking the Decemberists a LOT even after he had been listening to Demon Hunter and the like for years and years. He's been expanding more and more recently. Or at least I think he has......

Anyways, I'm going to go now. I hope you will start listening to more music!! Don't fall to the dark side!!!


PS: If you questions on what You're listening to, whether it's good, bad, or are just curious of my opinion, please, leave a comment! Or you can email me if you don't want it public. Just to let you know, it's a very, very bad idea to ask me about Owl City if you like him.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I have stopped listening to only Owl City, I have also been listening to Group 1 Crew(Which is a Christian rock/rap group) Port Blue(an odd genre of music called Ambient, which is sort of like soundtrack music) and One Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a long post. :)

    What's wrong with a female artist.

    Wow... seven years? It's only been about a year for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been listening to Muse for a long time too, but I'm not sure for how many years.

    Nothings wrong with a female artist. Your class is just afraid of girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's probably so. But personally, I have no problem with listening to a female artist unless she's annoying... or bad. Or her music sucks. But the same would go for male artists.

    ReplyDelete